by Lou Callan
- a fascinating colleciton of idioms, proverbs and sayings in a variety of languages. This is the book for you if you've ever wondered what's the Danish equivalent of 'It's raining cats and dogs' (Det regner skomagerdrenge - it's raining shoemakers' apprenticies) or the French for 'Pigs might fly' (Quand les poules auront des dents - When hens have teeth).
The expressions are shown in their native languages and scripts, with transliterations where necessary, English translations and explanations.
by Christopher J. Moore
- an interesting collection of words from various languages that are difficult to translate into other languages. Includes explanations of the words, details of cultural backgrounds and amusing anecdotes.
by Jag Bhalla
- an illustrated guide to over a thousand idioms in ten different languages. Also contains lighthearted essays on linguistics, psychology, anthropology and neuroscience.
by Jean-Marie Cassagne and Luc Nisset-Raidon
- a collection of idiomatic French phrases with English translations and illustrations.
by Peter Weibel
- a collection of over 4,000 Spanish idioms with English translations and equivalents. Also includes example sentence illustrating how to use the idioms.
[ other sections ]
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.
Hosted by Kualo