The Sroifisi alphabet was invented by Matt Youens for use in a fictional story he is writing. The characters themselves are inspired in part by the Armenian and Georgian alphabets and the Brahmi-derived scripts while the vocabulary of the language they're used to write is a mixture of English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Greek.
- Type of writing system: alphabet
- Direction writing: left to right in horizontal lines.
- Used to write: Parechosi.
- Vowels are indicated by a combination of letters and diacritics.
- The denti-alveolars all have a horizontal bar that joins them when they are adjacent.
- The full forms of the vowels are used (i) at the beginning of a word, (ii) after another vowel, (iii) when i or u are being used as a semi-vowel/consonant.
- u = [w] before u or o when used as a consonant, [v] before a, i or e; after k or s it is always [w] before a vowel.
- The two diphthongs only appear in the middle of words.
- p = [f] between vowels or after m.
- t = [θ] between vowels or after a sonorant.
- k = [ç] after a vowel and before i, [x] between all other vowels.
- m = [ɱ] before f.
- s = z before or after d or before n, r or l in the middle of a word.
- Other than the combinations shown, the only consonant clusters that occur are mp, mb and any parings of the denti-alveolars with at least one sonorant or continuant.
The numbers from one to nine are all based on the vowels and their diacritics in various combinations.
Toli anthumo deu bese da nathibo pivela ke kwoichi am diwurdta ke drieche. Se deu echa rayicki ke kovisa ke devi amoichela achi am barathe piroistu.
[t̪ɔlɪ ʌn̪ˈθʊmɔ d̪ɛʊ̯ ˌbɛsɛ d̪ʌ n̪ʌˈθɪbɔ ǀ pɪˈvɛlʌ kɛ ˈkwɔɪ̯çɪ ʌm d̪ɪˈwʊrtʌ kɛ drɪˈɛxɛ ǁ sɛ d̪ɛʊ̯ ˌɛxʌ rʌˈjɪkɪ kɛ kɔˈvɪsʌ ǀ kɛ ˌd̪ɛvɪ ʌmɔɪˈxelʌ ˌʌçɪ ʌm bʌˈrʌθɛ pɪˌrɔɪ̯stʊ]
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards
one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
Also by Matt Youens
Other constructed scripts