Anglo-Saxon runes are an extended version of Elder Futhark
consisting of between 26 and 33 letters. It is thought that
they were used to write Old English / Anglo-Saxon and Old
Frisian from about the 5th century AD. They were used in
England until the 10th or 11th centuries, though after the 9th century
they were mainly used in manuscripts and were of interest
to antiquarians, and their use ceased after the Norman
conquest in 1066.
One theory is that this script was developed in Frisia and
then adopted in England. Another is that it was brought
to England by the Vikings and then modified and later ended
up in Frisia.
From the 7th century the Latin alphabet began to replace
these runes, though some runes continued to appear in Latin
texts representing whole words, and the Latin alphabet was
extended with the runic letters þorn and wynn.