Language is unique to humans and understanding how we evolved can give insights into the origins of language.
Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza, Francesco Cavalli-Sforza and Sarah Thorne
- an interesting study of the complex links between genetics, race, and evolution.
Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza
- an excellent book which uses genetic, linguistic and archaeological evidence to study to links between peoples and languages, and the spread of cultural innovations.
- a fascinating introduction to body language with many illustrations and photographs. This book is a completely revised and up-dated version of Manwatching.
- a controversial and challenging book which studies humans from a zoologist's perspective and seeks to explain human behaviour in the light of our evolutionary past. All naked apes with open minds should read this.
- an interesting and thought-provoking study of the city dweller. Morris highlights uncanny similarities with zoo animals and looks closely at the aggressive, sexual and parental behaviour of the human species under the stresses and pressures of urban living.
- we humans share about 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees, so from a biological perspective, we are just another species of chimpanzee. However our behaviour is very different to that of our evolutionary cousins. Diamond sets out to explain this difference. Accessible, amusing, thought-provoking - a must read for third chimpanzees everywhere!
- in this book Diamond seeks to answer a question posed by one of his New Guinean friends - Why white people developed so much cargo (material goods) and brought it to New Guinea while the indigenous had so little. He argues that the current dominance of the West is a result of three main factors: geography, climate and biology, rather than any kind of 'racial superiority'. Fascinating.
[ other sections ]
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.
Why not share this page:
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.