The Aketal is an abugida invented by Kazimír Bodnár in 2021 to make calligraphy and write texts. It is used to write English but can be easily adapted to write other languages like French. The script can also be visually adapted to look different ways, as long as it is still legible.
- Type of writing system: abugida
- Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal lines
- Used to write: English, but can be adapted for other languages
- The vowel diacritic goes over the consonant before the vowel, unless the consonant has an accent over it already, as in diphthongs or letters with ´ over them.
- If a vowel diacritic cannot be placed above a consonant, the writer puts it over the *vowel* symbol.
- The /i/ and /o/ characters are placed to the right of the consonant, with the line on the upper left of the vowel connecting to the consonant.
- The /a/ character is placed directly to the right of the consonant.
- Vowel diacritics can be placed above the /i/ and /o/ characters.
- The ´, /a/, and /u/ diacritics can connect to each other if there are multiple in a word. Three ´ diacritics cannot be connected, only two.
Sample text in Aketal
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
(part of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
Information about English |
Family words |
Tongue twisters |
Tower of Babel |
Constructed scripts for: Ainu |
Chinese languages |
Malay & Indonesian |
Other natural languages |
Colour-based scripts |
Tactile scripts |
Phonetic/universal scripts |
Constructed scripts for constructed languages |
Adaptations of existing alphabets |
Fictional alphabets |
Magical alphabets |
A-Z index |
How to submit a constructed script
Why not share this page:
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation via PayPal or Patreon, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.