Avern is a transformed English alphabet invented by Zach Haffey and used
by a society of warlocks whose souls and culture (including their language)
have been interwoven with the alien, demonic energies that give them their
power. The language itself has traces of Latin and Old English but has been
nearly overrun by the extradimensional demonic tongue.
Avern has several, extremely difficult sub-dialects and conditional
pronunciations depending on the rank of the speaker versus the spoken to.
- Written horizontally, left to right.
- The consonant clusters ch, sh and th are pronounced the same as in
English but the letter "s" is not used. The infused, demonic powers always
vibrate the Averns' vocal chords into saying "z" instead...
- Capitals: Same letter written larger. Capitals are used at the
beginnings of paragraphs and proper names.
Sample text in Avern
- Uon varthia kabaoru ex fyrokh jalkai ex xarengu rallaa.
- Uon attar kimyral exudun-yaha r'yagtojurenx aga'Zhinar'vomad;
jalko gehax yaha domixren'yahzu kruthùil.
- Uon yah'yahkhir zentim: Aiye. Thuxalun hentyreva'xal ben'zaikoromit.
Uon thuxalun'era juzarle rallain;yah maad'mith thuxalhe kenexebaa.
- And the whole earth was of one language, and of one
- And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east,
that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt
- And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick,
and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and
slime had they for morter.
Part of the Tower of Babel story from Genesis 11: 1-3
Download an Avern font
(TrueType format, 12K).
If you have any questions about Avern, you can contact Zach
Other writing systems invented by visitors to this site
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.