The Baduk alphabet was invented by Sebastian Groß from
Germany and is based on the game of Baduk, which is also known
- Type of writing system: Alphabetic script
- Dirrection of writing: left to right in more or less vertical columns running from top to bottom.
- Can be used to write any language that uses Latin letters.
- There are only 2 characters and one marker to indicate the start of words.
- Like in Baduk the meaning of one letter is determined by its relative rather than its absolute position.
- Pronounciation: like the Latin letters in the language that is used.
- ä, ö and ü are formed by combining a, o and u with e
- x is formed by combining g and s
- z is formed by combining d and s
- t uses the same pattern as d
- l uses the same pattern as r
- k uses the same pattern as g
- p uses the same pattern as b
- v uses the same pattern as f
- numerals are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 written on the same level as the last marker
- Punctuation replaces the markers, two markers = fullstop
- In a text markers are not used for every letter but only for every word.
The first letter of the word uses the marker and each other the preceding letter.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They
are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another
in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
If you have any questions about the Baduk Script, you can contact Sebastian at:
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation via PayPal or Patreon, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.