Rën is a script (ritë) developed by Justin Mann for a
philosophical language of the same name (Lokë Rën). It is
designed to be easily learned and written while giving it a
beautiful and complex appearance.
- Writing system: alphabet
- Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal line
- Used to write: Lokë Rën
- Vowels are written on top of the preceding consonant, when present, and are otherwise written with a vowel carrier, as in the table. The vowel ‹ë› as a diacritic is written above the left side of the consonant. ‹e› is a default schwa, and does not have a diacritic.
- Vowels may also overlap to form diacritics.
- The word Rën is written as an ideograph, which is treated as a consonant.
- The period is attached to the final consonant in the sentence, written in the same stroke. The comma stands independently, written between words. Each of these are used only to remove unwanted ambiguity.
- A diacritic transliterated as ‹h› is a small circle placed above a consonant to indicate that the attached vowel is pharyngealized, which may be realized as a pharyngeal fricative in coda position (ie [sæħ], or else as a long, lax vowel ([saːˤ]). The following depicts this consonant with the diacritic.
Download an alphabet chart for Rën (Excel)
Download a font for Rën
Kelom fazah mufahta jahfent resinz sajez.
Ahra dahna keranaz samraz.
Idah pa’iwahrima ahcasiz, Rënah.
Every body is born, is free, is equal, in dignity and in rights.
Minds are given reason and conscience.
Hands should act towards one another in unity, O Rën.
Standard English version
All human beings are born free and eqrenl in dignity and rights. They
are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another
in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
Other constructed scripts
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.