Heather Bryan started working on the Taiogeuna script around November 2006
as a way to write her conlang Taiogeuinaa. Taiogeuna is the name of the alphabet
(and means 'traditional world script'), and Taiogeuinaa means 'traditional world
- Type of writing system: alphabet
- There is no distinction between capital and lowercase letters.
- Written in horizontal lines from left to right and top to bottom.
- There is no traditional period; instead, the last letter of a sentence is
underlined, and a symbol indicating the start of a sentence is placed above
the first letter of the next sentence (this symbol is placed above any other symbols present).
- The vowels carry the weight of the language, and there can be as many
as four in a row (four single vowels, or two diphthongs).
- No consonant may double (digraphs are considered single consonants).
- Initial and medial vowels must be pronounced separately; however, single
vowels which are doubled at the end of a word (TaiogeuinAA) may be pronounced as
the single vowel sound lengthened; under no other circumstances may vowels be pronounced like this.
- Used to write: Taiogeuinaa, and English (in theory).
Note: since adjectives and adverbs follow the words they describe, the words
are separated by the apostrophe. Nowhere else is the apostrophe used.
Ehue Aenauo'uedho ro azhue'enoage ahia due oleolui'dhaiphu. Ithe ro eoreoi'eoloiai
atheuo lai hae caiwoia luchae'ichuu due aiiguua'daiacai.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They
are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another
in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
If you have any comments on Taiogeuna, you can contact
Heather at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Also by Heather Bryan
Other constructed scripts
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.