The Galderish Alphabet was invented by Wesley King over a
period of several years. Originally an alternative to English,
it is now used for other purposes. It is intended for use in an
untitled book he is writing. In the book, this is the language
of an alien race of dragons. The humans discriminate against
the dragons, similar to the world of the movie "District 9."
There is a cultural revolution, and the dragons gradually
become more accepted over time.
- Type of script: alphabet
- Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal lines
- Used to write: English and Galderish
- ä is pronounced as in father
- a is pronounced as in human
- ĉ is pronounced as in cheese
- ħ is pronounced as a simultaneous h and l
- ĵ is pronounced as in vision
- ŝ is pronounced as in fish
- u is pronounced as in book
- ü is pronounced as in zoo
- There is a capital letter at both the beginning and the end of a sentence
- Number system is base 12. As well as stemming from the fact that the dragons have a total of 12 digits, this makes it much easier to do basic math.
- The letters q and c were designed only for the font; they are never used in the Galderish language.
Galderish numerals and puncuation
Na ĉutalväyin vüs ħüsta bümïa gädï na ezlam ŝep na räĵakifï worfï näxï häjed.
The colors are flying freely above the house with the mostly blue blessed altar.
This is a pangram in the Galderish language, containing every letter of the alphabet.
Download Galderish fonts (OpenType, 400K)
Other constructed scripts
Learn Chinese Characters with the Omniglot Chinese app