Introductions to alphabets and other writing systems, including almost all the writing systems currently in use and many extinct ones.
- What is writing?
- Differences between writing and speech
- Types of writing system
- A-Z index
- Direction index
A collection of scripts invented by visitors to Omniglot, and for use in books, films, TV programmes and computer games.
- Natural languages
- Constructed languages
- Fictional language
- Phonetic scripts
- Adapted scripts
- A-Z index
- How to submit a con-script
Introductions to many languages, details of language families, advice on how to learn languages, and language-related articles and videos.
- Language profiles
- Language families
- Language learning advice
- Language-related articles
- Language learning videos
- Learn Hebrew online
A collection of phrases, numbers idioms, tongue twisters and other material you can use to learn the basics of many different languages.
- Useful phrases and Other phrases
- Numbers, Colours and Time expressions
- Kinship terms, Idioms, proverbs and tongue twisters
- Country and language names, and songs
- Find language tutors (USA) | Find language tutors (UK)
New and improved pages on Omniglot.
- New constructed script: Shwa
- New adapted script: Maula
- New article: Learning Mandarin Chinese: 3 key things to consider
- Improved phrases page: Bhojpuri
- New adapted script: German Cyrillic Alphabet
- New article: Chinese Language Myths
- New Tower of Babel translation: Kenyah
- New numbers page: Kenyah
- New numbers page: Penan
- New numbers page: Balinese
- New numbers page: Yaqui
- New numbers page: Biloxi
- New numbers page: Tohono O'odham
- New numbers page: Creek
- New article: Curonian
- New numbers page: Sundanese
- New numbers page: Kiribati
- More news