Rila Sign System
The Rila Sign System is an alternative alphabet for Russian,
English, Spanish and other languages devised by Stefan Stoynov.
He invented it because he finds writing text messages (SMS) in
Bulgarian on a mobile phone rather difficult and he thought there
might be a better way to do this. This sign system is designed to
be easy to enter on a keypad and uses a small number of symbols
that correspond to letters in the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets.
- Type of writing system: alphabet
- Used to write: Russian, English, Spanish and other languages
- Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal lines
Rila Sign System
- The number of the sign forms doubles through: another font size; another color of the signs or horizontal line under them.
- All signs have numerical correspondences which are designate from the outside of the table, as well as for the doubled signs they are from 50 to 99.
- The specific meanings of the signs from 50 to 99 are designate in figurative brackets for the different applications.
Examples for applications of the sign system
United presentation of the European alphabets and some linguistic combinations of letters
- The alphabetic systems include the varieties of the Latin and Cyrillic alphabet, as well as the Greek.
- The Greek alphabet is presented through her hand-written letters.
- The distribution of the letters and the combinations of letters is according to method for entering which is realizable by mobile, computer, transport and tactile keyboard.
- The combinations of letters relate to English, German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese languages.
Sample text in Rila (English)
Time is in us and we are in time, it changes us and we change it.
Sample text in Rila (Spanish)
El tiempo está en nosotros y nosotros estamos en el tiempo. Nos cambia y lo cambiamos.
Sample text in Rila (Russian)
Время находится в нас и мы находимся во времени, оно нас меняет и мы меняем его.
Sample text in Rila (Greek)
Ο χρόνος είναι μέσα μας και είμαστε στο χρόνο. Αυτό αλλάζω εμάς και εμείς αλλάζω αυτό.
Denotation of an exemplary system of phonetic signs (English).
Sample text in Rila (phonetic)
[taim iz in ʌs ænd wi: ɑːr in taim, it ˈtʃeɪndʒɪz ʌs ænd wi: tʃeɪndʒ it.]
Stefan Stoynov has also devised a tactile version of the Rila Sign System, known as Tactile System Rila.
Other constructed scripts
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.