There are relatively few materials for learning Tamil, so this page includes all the ones that I've found online.
by Kausalya Hart
- consists of a series of lessons which include conversations and stories, vocabulary lists and exercises, a grammar reference section, and a guide to the Tamil alphabet.
- a basic introduction to Tamil. Includes dialogues, exercises, games, tests and notes in many different languages. Introduces a fairly limited amount of vocabulary and phrases, but does so in an effective and fun way.
- builds on Talk Now! Learn Tamil and uses videos, quizzes and tests to teach you more Tamil phrases and conversation.
Buy from: Amazon.co.uk
by Ron Asher, E. Annamalai
- an introduction to spoken and written Tamil. Includes a course book containing dialogues, grammatical notes, exercises and cultural information. Two audio cassettes or CDs with recordings of some of the dialogues and exercises are also available.
by Vasu Renganathan
- a companion resource for making use of the contents of the two websites: www.thetamillanguage.com and http://rewardzone.thetamillanguage.com (a site for Tamil Proficiency tests) in their fullest extent possible. This book accompanies a DVD with all of the multimedia contents (videos and audio) from this website, arranged in a pedagogically organized format. The text is carefully designed to progress the readers sequentially through graded glossaries, readings, grammar, dialogues, and cultural information. A detailed grammar of Tamil in an ordered fashion from simple to complex forms, a concise discussion on Tamils' customs and habits, illustrations on the diglossic nature of Tamil, discussion on foreign language influences in Tamil, agglutinative property of Tamil words etc., are some of the sections that are covered in this book in a comprehensive manner.
A distinction between formal and informal variety of Taml is maintained througout the book so as to learn both the written and spoken forms of Tamil in a systematic manner. The videos that are included in the Dvd comprise of a set of dialogues filmed in appropriate speech contexts in Tamil nadu. Importantly, this book is not only meant for Tamil language learners of both heritage and non-native speakers, it can also be used by native speakers of Tamil and Tamil researchers as a resource for learning about Tamil language and culture.
Buy from: Amazon.com
[ Contents ]
by P. Parcival
by Clement J. Victor
- a small dictionary/phrasebook containing a range of useful Tamil words and phrases all written in the Latin alphabet.
by Harold F. Schiffman
- a grammar of colloquial Tamil designed to be accessible to students studying the modern spoken language at all levels as well as to linguists and other specialists. Not really suitable for beginners.
by Charles Theophilus Ewald Rhenius
[ other sections ]
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.