Aymara Syllabics (ᐊᐃᒪᖞᓇ ᐊᖝ ᕋᕤ ᕆᕪᕋ)
Aymara Syllabics was invented by Nima Farid in June 2021. It is a way to write Aymara, which is spoken mainly in Bolivia and Peru, with Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, a writing system used to write some of the indigenous languages of Canada, such as Cree, Ojibwe and Inuktitut.
Aymara Syllabics is known in Aymara as ᐊᐃᒪᖞᓇ ᐊᖝ ᕋᕤ ᕆᕪᕋ (aymarana aru qallu qillqa - "Aymara syllable alphabet"), or ᐊᐃᒪᖞ ᐊᒐᑲᐦᐊ (Aymara Achakaja - "Aymara ABCs").
This particular script was designed for Aymara specifically, but it is very similar to the script developed by Nima Farid for Quechua as well.
- Type of writing system: syllabary
- Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal lines
- Used to write: Aymara
- Based on Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics
- The script includes some additional characters that are not originally from Aymara, namely the characters "G" and "D". These are to be used for loanwords from Spanish, as they are quite common in Ayamra.
- Diacritics are used to indicate whether a consonant is to be pronounced aspirited or with a glottal pause. a backslash diacritic is used to indicate the former, and a circle to indicate the latter.
Download an alphabet chart for Aymara Syllabics
Sample text (Romans 8:38-39)
- ᐅᑲᑦ ᓇᔭᕻ ᐊᒧᑦᔭ, ᐦᐊᓂᕝ ᑯᓇᐢ ᑚᐆᓴᓐ ᒧᓇᓯᖬᐸᑦ ᐊᐸᕐᑭᐢᑕᐢᐸᑎ: ᐦᐃᕙᓴ, ᐦᐊᑲᖬᓴ, ᐊᓐᑹᓚᓇᑲᓴ, ᐊᐦᐊᐃ ᒐᐤᒪᓇᑲᓴ, ᐦᐃᒐᐠᓴ, ᐦᐅᑎᖟ ᐅᖝᓇᑲᓴ
- ᐊᓚᔭᓐᒃᑭ ᐅᑲᓴ, ᒪᓐᕋᐠᓐᒃᑭ ᐅᑲᓴ, ᑚᐆᓴᓐ ᔭᕋᐠ ᓗᖞᑕᓇᑲᐸᓴ᙮ ᐦᐊᓂᐳᓂᕝ ᑯᓇᐢ ᐊᐸᕐᑭᐢᑕᐢᐸᑎ, ᑚᐆᓴᕻ ᐦᐄᓱᒃᖜᐢᑐ ᑕᑎᑐᐢ ᑐᕆ ᐅᖬᒡᑕᐤᑭᐢᑐ ᐅᑲ ᒧᓇᓯᖬᐸᑦᕹ!
- Ukat nayax amuyta, janiw kunas Diosan munasiñapat apaqkistaspati: jiwasa, jakañasa, angelanakasa, ajay ch'amanakasa, jichhasa, jutir urunakasa,
- alayankki ukasa, manqhankki ukasa, Diosan yaqha luratanakapasa. ¡Janipuniw kunas apaqkistaspati, Diosax Jesucristo Tatitus tuqi uñacht'aykistu uka munasiñapatxa!
- For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
- Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Information about Aymara |
Tower of Babel
Constructed scripts for: Ainu |
Chinese languages |
Malay & Indonesian |
Other natural languages |
Colour-based scripts |
Tactile scripts |
Phonetic/universal scripts |
Constructed scripts for constructed languages |
Adaptations of existing alphabets |
Fictional alphabets |
Magical alphabets |
A-Z index |
How to submit a constructed script
Why not share this page:
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation via PayPal or Patreon, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.