Manjikana is an alternative writing system for Japanese created by Fatbardh Kraja in 2018. Being certain that the current writing systems (Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana and Romaji) do not suit the Japanese language, the author was able to determine 8 unresolved issues while writing.
Inspired by the "Manji" symbol (卍), he was able to find 8 solutions, all included in one single writing system. Manjikana fits the Japanese language's characteristics, as well as all its dialects.
- The Manjikana writing system consists of only 33 (+ 2 extra) sounds, which are more than enough to write the language; two other sounds are added to simplify the writings of integrated words.
- The entire system is inspired by the Manji symbol. The characters are distributed according to a few criteria, which makes them flow easily. This system is authentic and well-adjusted with the spoken language, though creating a new identity. This system releases the language from the use of the Kanji symbols and the ideas of its Romanization.
- The conclusion that there are 1236 syllables is reached. The system groups the sounds in syllables, based on a certain scheme.
- The system works for the standard japanese and Ainu language and all its dialects, since all of their authentic characteristics have been considered.
- The second level of the system is called Nikana. It groups two to four syllables in different ways, based on 8 different schemes, creating different visual representations for phonetically identic words. This helps the process of heterographics.
- The third level is called Aikana. It allows the writer to explore and experiment with different ways of connecting words to their own limit, without violating the basic rules.
- The first development allowing the vertical connection of words
- The second development allowing the vertical and the horizontal connection of words
- The third development allowing the creation of shapes.
- From the same symbol generates also the numerical system, consisting of 5 main rules:
- The system is decimal
- The number shows its own value
- The number shows its value of the power of tens through its position
- Groups numbers three by three starting from the end.
- Groups all zeros together.
- This system provides great solutions for the existence of homonyms by:
- Identifies the upper or lower accent
- Provides the creation of visually different compositions for phonetically identical words.
- Provides the alternation of the numbers with new syllables used as homonymic suffixes.
- Provides the use of numbers as index signs.
To understand the concept of Manjikana check the scheme below:
Sample text in Manjikana
Transliteration (Japanse script)
すべての人間は、生まれながらにして自由であり、かつ、尊厳と権利と について平等である。人間は、理性と良心とを授けられており、互いに同 胞の精神をもって行動しなければならない。
すべて の にんげん は、 うまれながら に して じゆう で あり、 かつ、 そんげん と けんり と について びょうどう で ある。 にんげん は、 りせい と りょうしん と を さづけられており、 たがいに どう の せいしん を もって こうどうしなければならない。
Subete no ningen wa, umarenagara ni shite jiyū de ari, katsu, songen to kenri to ni tsuite byōdō de aru. Ningen wa, risei to ryōshin to o sazukerarete ori, tagai ni dōhō no seishinn o motte kōdō shinakereba naranai.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They
are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another
in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
For more details you can download this PDF or check the website: https://www.manjikana.com
Introduction to Japanese |
Telling the time |
Family words |
Tower of Babel |
Other constructed scripts
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.