The quenti is a script invented by Kevin Banks for the
invented languages of Elder Tongue (Lingo Almea), Maiarin
(Lingo Maiaran), and Aranin (Lingo Aranion), although the
latter two are rarely ever written with the quenti. The name
for the script is an Elder Tongue word that means 'sound
characters', as opposed to 'senur', or 'letters, runes',
which are used for the Speeches of Men. It resembles the
scripts invented by J.R.R. Tolkien, but follows a different
pattern and is made to resemble some of the Roman alphabet.
When the Sendor (the 'Grey Ones', a mysterious race of
advanced peoples) disappeared, they left many ruins of their
civilization, including what looks to be writing. During the
rise of the first kingdom, one scholar, Indacor, received a
vision by wandering into a crumbling Sendor temple. This led
him to create the quenti, which was, and still is widespread
throughout Endor (the world where the histories take place).
- Type of writing system: abjad
- Direction of writing: written from left to right in horizontal lines
- There are no capitals in the quenti, although the beginnings
of texts are often marked with the same symbol as the period.
Used to Write
- The Elder Tongue, the ancient language in Endor. It is most prominent, especially within literature, academic pursuits, and religious liturgy.
- Maiarin, the language of the Sea People. It is common in the Southern Isles of Endor.
- Aranin, the language of the people in the East of Endor. It is a noble tongue growing in status among the Elder Tongue.
- also English, though not phonetically.
The Quenti Consonants
*the first character is used at the beginning of words. The second
character is used elsewhere. When a vowel is doubled (accented), the
vowel is placed over the 'open vowel' character.
The Quenti Vowels and Special Characters*
*the second character for 'e' and is used when the stem of a consonant
points down. The first is used elsewhere.
Numbers are always written from right to left.
Aliesti ní vistelvor tyaloar ar lenaimen sol tanyor ar tirgar. Icceti vistá ar malaistá, ar amolani ni indanne faratelian.
All men are born free and the same in worth and rights. They have
foresight and knowledge of good, and they should act like siblings.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with
reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
If you have any questions about Quenti, you can contact Kevin at: rojinmusha389[at]yahoo[dot]com
Other writing systems invented by visitors to this site