The СКАЗЬ writing system was developed by cka3b.livejournal.com
in 2012/2013. The main goal of the experiment was to reinvent a
writing system for Russian language from the scratch and optimize
it as much as possible, or at least make it as regular as possible.
The forms of letters 'o', 'a', 't', 'p', 'ts', 'k', 'g' are influenced
by corresponding Greek/Latin/Russian letters.
The name of this alphabet, СКАЗЬ (CKA3b/skaz'),
is not a word of Russian language but can be understood as
'something told' or 'narrative'.
- Type of writing system: alphabet
- Direction of writting: from left to right
- Used to write: Russian
- The following principles were used:
- There should be one-to-one correspondence between characters and phonemes of the base language.
- Similar sounds correspond to similar glyphs, and similar elements of pronunciation correspond to similar elements of drawing.
- More frequent phonemes are depicted with simple glyphs. Less frequent phonemes are depicted with more complex glyphs. The complex glyphs can be constructed from the simpler glyphs by adding elements of drawing corresponding elements of pronunciation which differentiate the more rare phoneme from a frequent one.
- Due to the fact that the structure of the closeness of the characters mimics the structure for the phonemes the reading (text recognition) could mimic the hearing (voice recognition) but the experiment with reading did not produce another kind of reading.
- The binary Unicode representation of the characters keeps the same structure as well, say, characters for phonemes 't' and 'd' differs on the 'soundness' bit and 't' and 's' differs on 'fricativeness' bit and so on.
Все люди рождаются свободными и равными в своем достоинстве и правах. Они наделены разумом и совестью и должны поступать в отношении друг друга в духе братства.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They
are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another
in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
Download a font for СКАЗЬ (TrueType, )
More details of СКАЗЬ (in Russian) can be found on cka3b.livejournal.com
Information about Russian |
Tongue twisters |
Tower of Babel |
Other constructed scripts