Wantoat is a member of the the Finisterre branch of the
Trans-New-Guinea language family. It is spoken in Kalapit
district of Morobe Provine of Papua New Guinea, particularly
in the villages of Gwabogwat, Mamabam, Matap, Ginonga and Kupung.
In 1978 there were reported to be 8,200 Wantoat speakers.
Parts of the Bible have been translated into Wantoat, and
were published in 2001.
Dialects of Wantoat include Wapu (Leron), Central Wantoat,
Bam, and Yagawak (Kandomin).
Wantoat alphabet and pronunciation
Download Tsimshian alphabet charts in PDF
or Excel format.
Details of Wantoat alphabet and pronunciation provided by Wolfram Siegel
Sample text (Psalms 23)
- Buyambam tapa, gata kakuya na nanduyuayak kapanin. Unzingge nata sanga tapatue dapnanga dua.
- Ita na tasiwan zongazonga kaya noman komune pekgat. Siwan ita na yangga mateknga kuma zipmakaingune nanitakuwan nata tangoke yuwa takanggak.
- Sike ita nae kekeknga kayuk namunggak. Namuke ita na kepi noman tapaapane nanitake kunggak. Unzing ita tupa tasinangge yakut taknga tawake tasinggak.
- Anutu, nata damene zikaa dakaatang kuke ngana gata gatangami akumnanga akngae nata dua gwaumbit. Dasingge? Ga naat gatake yuamak. Nata ga gandupa gusou sipsipde kakuya tasikaingga pakaing kapaapa apanggayak. Unzing kake natane musipma kwikwikngata yuwit. Nata wai sinanga dua.
- Gata natane nanama take siknga keu aanggaman komune pandaknganggayak. Siwan natane iwanata moo nanduke sanga takngatu tasinanga dua. Ge, gata naat nasimde apbakngake naninggayak. Gata nanamu nae kwaapzang siknga pewi dopan namunggayak.
- Gata nae banip gwaang natake sanga take akngakan tasingamunggayakge tapduk bamu nata kayuk yuwawa gata nae musip kwikwiu asinggan natangamuya. Unzingge nata yotdane asinggan asinggan yuwit.
- The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
- He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
- he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Information about the Wantoat languages
The New Testament and Psalms in Wantoat
Trans-New Guinea languages
Languages written with the Latin alphabet
Why not share this page:
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation via PayPal or Patreon, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.